Skip to main content

What we've learned through two weeks of the NFL Season

Most people will tell you to not overreact through the first two weeks of the NFL season, but as a Houston Texans fan, it's difficult not to get way high or way too low depending on the first 8 days of the NFL campaign. Look at teams in Dallas and Minnesota, both of these teams were supposed to be competing for an NFL championship and they are both 0-2. On the other side of the spectrum are teams like the Kansas City Chiefs and Tampa Bay Bucs who were supposed to be completely rebuilding after having top 5 draft picks in the offseason and are both 2-0. Now do I think the Chiefs or Bucs will make the playoffs, no, they probably won't even win 6 games, but still 2-0 is 2-0. There are only 8 teams in the NFL that don't have a loss yet, and none of those teams has faced tougher comptetion than my Houston Texans. Completely destroying Indianapolis in week 1 and overcoming a 17 point deficit in DC for week 2 makes Houston's 2-0 mark the best in the league, however a loss to a stumbling and horribly coached Dallas team at home, would bring the Texans back down to earth quickly.

So what have we learned from the first two weeks that will actually make a huge difference in this season? I have sat here and told you not to worry so much about games one and two, but there are certain things that fans from teams need to take notice of. There are 8 things that we've learned from the first 2 weeks that people need to truly know.

1. Tony Romo is not going to lead the Dallas Cowboys to a Super Bowl. I've said this all along, he is an average NFL starter at best, and you need someone who can play nearly perfect to win big games and Tony is just a mediocre Brett Favre at best.

2. Speaking of Brett Favre, he should have stayed retired. He has looked pedestrian and even sometimes awful through the first two weeks. Minnesota has a better chance of winning with Sage Rosenfels as their quarterback with an offense that revolves around the menace that is Adrian Peterson.

3. Buffalo will be the worst team in the NFL this season. That is honestly the worst football team in the league, they may not end up with the number one pick, but they should, because their terrible.

4. The Houston Texans are for real, they will make the playoffs this year because they have too much talent on their roster not to, despite the toughest schedule in the NFL, they will still make it to the regular season's after party this season.

5. Mike Tomlin is one of the best coaches in the NFL. This guy has overcome a horrendous offseason, the loss of his number one reciever and two time Super Bowl Champion quarterback, then looses his number two backup and guess what... the Steelers are 2-0. He needs some DAP because this guy simply knows how to win.

6. Jake Locker will not be the number one pick in April's 2011 draft, because simply he's a project much like Tim Tebow. However, Locker's arm strength makes him a more highly prized player in the long run in my opinion. The best NFL ready player in college right now is Stanford's qb Andrew Luck, who I already have ranked higher than Jimmy Clausen who i gave an 85 to, and Sam Bradford who recieved an 83. Luck is at 88 right now and climbing, could make his way into the 90's which I've only given to two qb's since I started my ranking system. Matt Stafford and Joe Flacco, but to be fair I did give Jay Cutler an 89.

7. Green Bay is the class of the NFC. Enough said, Aaron Rodgers should win the MVP and Green Bay will play for the super bowl.

8. The first two weeks don't mean that much, people need to relax and watch, after week 4 we can start making some seirous judgments and we'll know a lot more after Sunday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

mock 4.0 senior bowl week mock

 This is what I think will happen with a twist - I'm going to mock all 32 teams and give all at least one draft pick, but I'm ALSO going to give them a free agent I THINK they should sign. So this exercise is a mock on what I think will happen for the draft and what I think the team SHOULD do for the free agent. Feels like it's something different and hey we've got 6 weeks til Free Agency so this will give everyone something to read. This also doesn't include any free agents I think they should re-sign.  Effective Cap Space: the cap space a team will have after signing at least 51 players and its projected rookie class to its roster. 1. Chicago Bears - QB Caleb Williams, USC I think the Bears ultimately trade Justin Fields to someone, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Denver, and pull the trigger with Williams who is one of only a handful of 99 players who have ever come out. If he doesn't give you Patrick Mahomes vibes I can't help you. Bears "Effective" Cap Sp

MOCK 3.0 What I THINK will happen

 Man even looking back at my mocks from 2 months ago, things change so fast in this cycle. Players get hurt, teams go on runs, players develop or fall off. It's amazing what can happen and both how long and how short a football season is. This is not what I would do, but what I think will happen. I play in an ultra competitive team building madden league and I don't want my compatriots to know what I'm thinking or where I'm grading players anymore because now it's getting serious. So here we go. My first real shot at a mock now that the first 18 teams orders' are locked in. 1. Chicago Bears - QB Caleb Williams, USC Look, Justin Fields shows flashes of absolute brilliance. He really does, but his pocket awareness and ability to scan down field is well below average and he simply is not a very productive NFL passer at this point. Plus, Fields was not drafted by this regime - Fields will likely fetch a day 2 pick, which is valuable and you can start building around

TOTAL VALUE ADDED 2024 NFL DRAFT

 This isn't an article saying what team did the best based on their draft slot or anything like that. This is simply a points chart. I listed 200 players on my overall player rating board and put them up on a list and used the Spielberger draft chart to assign a point value to every slot. Based on my chart mixed with his value chart I came up with a points value chart for every single team in the NFL for the 2024 draft. We'll look back at this every year after 3 seasons to see how bad I was.