Skip to main content

Most overrated in 2014 NFL draft with 100 hours to go


Every scout has their own ideas when going into a draft process. In reading everything I have about what other scouts say, I simply disagree with numerous things that they have said throughout the process. These are ten guys I believe are highly overrated going into the 2014 Draft. I'm not saying these guys are bad players, or won't pan out in the league. I'm simply saying they are going to get drafted higher than they should or that scouts believe they should go.

1. Morgan Moses - OT Virginia
Scouts inc Rank 14
My rank: 64

Moses is a solid right tackle prospect in the NFL but if someone drafts him in the middle of the first round it's a huge reach. His upside is good not great but his ability to handle speed rushers isn't good and probably won't get better. While a solid starter is my projection, that doesn't mean you take him at 14 or higher.

2. Darqueze Dennard - CB Michigan State
Scouts inc Rank: 13
Mel Kipers Rank: 15
My rank: 38

Again it's not that I don't like Dennard. I think he's a very quality player who can do a lot of things well. He's really versatile and can play in any scheme. He'll be a nice player. That being said he has tighter hips than I'd like, doesn't have top tier speed, and his ball skills are good not great. While I like him as an above average starting corner, people are saying he can go as high as 11. Too rich for my blood.

3. Odell Beckham Jr - WR LSU
Scouts inc rank: 15
Mel Kiper's rank: 13
My rank: 34

I like Beckham Jr. as a quality number two receiver with upside and compare him favorably to Torrey Smith. While Smith is a nice player he's not elite. If I'm going to take someone as high as number ten like some are projecting, he needs to be a superstar. Beckham isn't consistent enough in his hands and never dominated in the SEC enough for me to consider him a top ten pick.

4. Kelvin Benjamin - WR Florida State
Scouts inc rank: 42
Mel Kipers arnk: 27
My rank: 81

Benjamin has too many character concerns and work ethic questions for me to consider him in the first two rounds. On top of that he has trouble separating and his route running skills aren't good. He's a match-up nightmare but the questions outweigh the answers.

5. Derek Carr - QB Fresno State
Mock draft - #20 overall
Mel Kiper's rank -26
My Rank: 79

Carr projects as an average to above average NFL starter in time. He has a quick release and shows good maturity and grasp of offensive concepts. He also panics when there is pressure at his feet and against a defense with speed he played his two worst collegiate games. Taking him in the first round would be a reach much like Christain Ponder, Jake Locker, Brandon Weeden, or Blaine Gabbert.

6. Tom Savage and Zach Mettenberger- QB Pitt and LSU
Projected: Late one's or early two's

I want my quarterbacks to be able to have some at least pocket mobility. These guys struggle with decision making and movement. Accuracy on a consistent basis is lacking as well. Arm strength is a huge plus and that's fantastic, but i'll take accuracy and decision making everyday over the ability to chuck it sixty yards on a line.

7. HaHa Clinton-Dix - S Alabama
Scouts inc rank: 10
Mel Kipers rank: 19
My rank: 33

I like Clinton-Dix, but I like safeties who don't just play their areas and make the routine plays. I want playmakers back there. HCD is a nice player and a quality centerfielder, but I need a fear factor on my backend and he doesn't provide that in enough abundance for me to take him at 10.

8. Jack Mewhort - OT Ohio State
Scouts inc rank: 65
Mel Kipers rank: 64
My rank:146

I don't think he has the ability to pass protect in the NFL at a consistent level. He has a draftable grade but barely for me and he because he can't be shifted inside to guard he ends up as a swing tackle. That's not worth a late second round grade, more like a 5th to 6th round grade to me.

9. Cyrus Kuondijo - OT Alabama
Scouts inc rank: 35
Mel Kipers rank: 32
My rank: 54

I like him as a right tackle prospect. Just not as one i'd take as high as 19 like I've heard.

10. Kyle Fuller - CB Virginia Tech
Scouts inc rank: 21
My rank: 48

This is totally dependent on scheme. If they ask Fuller to play a zone coverage 21 might be too low for him.... if they ask him to play man full time, especially off man, 21 is at least one full round too early.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

mock 4.0 senior bowl week mock

 This is what I think will happen with a twist - I'm going to mock all 32 teams and give all at least one draft pick, but I'm ALSO going to give them a free agent I THINK they should sign. So this exercise is a mock on what I think will happen for the draft and what I think the team SHOULD do for the free agent. Feels like it's something different and hey we've got 6 weeks til Free Agency so this will give everyone something to read. This also doesn't include any free agents I think they should re-sign.  Effective Cap Space: the cap space a team will have after signing at least 51 players and its projected rookie class to its roster. 1. Chicago Bears - QB Caleb Williams, USC I think the Bears ultimately trade Justin Fields to someone, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Denver, and pull the trigger with Williams who is one of only a handful of 99 players who have ever come out. If he doesn't give you Patrick Mahomes vibes I can't help you. Bears "Effective" Cap Sp

MOCK 3.0 What I THINK will happen

 Man even looking back at my mocks from 2 months ago, things change so fast in this cycle. Players get hurt, teams go on runs, players develop or fall off. It's amazing what can happen and both how long and how short a football season is. This is not what I would do, but what I think will happen. I play in an ultra competitive team building madden league and I don't want my compatriots to know what I'm thinking or where I'm grading players anymore because now it's getting serious. So here we go. My first real shot at a mock now that the first 18 teams orders' are locked in. 1. Chicago Bears - QB Caleb Williams, USC Look, Justin Fields shows flashes of absolute brilliance. He really does, but his pocket awareness and ability to scan down field is well below average and he simply is not a very productive NFL passer at this point. Plus, Fields was not drafted by this regime - Fields will likely fetch a day 2 pick, which is valuable and you can start building around

TOTAL VALUE ADDED 2024 NFL DRAFT

 This isn't an article saying what team did the best based on their draft slot or anything like that. This is simply a points chart. I listed 200 players on my overall player rating board and put them up on a list and used the Spielberger draft chart to assign a point value to every slot. Based on my chart mixed with his value chart I came up with a points value chart for every single team in the NFL for the 2024 draft. We'll look back at this every year after 3 seasons to see how bad I was.