Skip to main content

My favorite players in the 2018 NFL Draft

These are the guys I think are the most underrated or are going to provide the most value. I do this before the draft and it's not that these guys are the best players, but I think that where they're slated and projected to go is way too low.


1. Kerryon Johnson, RB Auburn
He's projected to be a 4th round pick by most people. I think he's one of the top players in this draft and gave him a first round grade and my 22nd ranked player overall. I love this kid and think whoever gets him is getting a really good, versatile, dynamic player who never misses the hole. He's someone who can lead a team in rushing and make big plays consistently. My guy in this draft.

2. Dalton Schultz, TE Stanford
Look I really think people don't understand the type of impact he can make. I think he projects as a capable receiver but he's a Dominant blocker. No there's nothing sexy about him, but I think he's a guy who plays in the league for 10 years. He's my 50th ranked player and is looking to go likely in round 5.

3. Genard Avery, LB Memphis
Why the hell this kid is a projected 5th-6th round pick I have zero clue. He's got tremendous size, pass rushing ability, can play in any scheme, and is a FREAK athlete. He runs a sub 4.6 at 250 pounds, and I don't understand what's so different from him than Haason Reddick last year. He's a solid second round player who is going to get picked in the middle of day 3.

4. Cedrick Wilson, WR Boise State
He is another guy projected to go in the middle of the 3rd day and to me he's someone who should be considered right along the same lines as a lot of those number two guys. He projects as a quality second receiver in the NFL along with a lot of those other mid tier guys, but you can probably have him much much later. He's a sneaky good one.

5. Malik Jefferson, LB Texas
I have him as a top 40 player and really close to a lot of other rankings from good linebackers in this class. I don't think he's far behind them. Look I just don't understand and see what everyone else does about him having "mediocre" or "okay" tape. I think it's good, he's big and really really fast and projects to be a really quality linebacker who should clearly be off the board by the end of the second round with zero question.

6. DJ Chark, WR LSU
Everyone loves DJ Moore as potentially a top 20 pick and I think the kid is a nice player. Christian Kirk is a really tough guy and projects to be a Golden Tate type player. Sutton is getting first round buzz from his size and speed combination. None of those guys is 6'3 and runs a 4.33 and can leap like Chark. He's got rare size and speed and I think he plays immediately in the league at a high and scary level. He's got the same wheels as Will Fuller but he's 4 inches taller. He's raw but it looks like he loves football and I think by year 3 he's a potentially extremely scary guy to try to defend.

7. Tremaine Edmunds, LB Virginia Tech
It sure looks like Edmunds is going to fall out of the top 10 and I get the run on quarterbacks influences that, but he's my number two ranked player. Everyone likes the kid but I love him. He's riskier than Chubb and Nelson, no doubt I haven't seen his size, speed, and production combination at linebacker in a very long time. He's a monster and his versatility means he could be a 3 down monster in any scheme you want. I love the kid.

Others receiving consideration:
Anthony Miller, WR Memphis - I freaking love this guy. Just a great football player.
Mike Gesicki, TE Penn State - He can't block but he could be a dynamic game changing, receiver.
Sony Michele & Darrius Guice - both should have first round consideration.
Lamar Jackson - I have him ranked way about Mayfield and think if a team builds around him they are getting a superstar potentailly and at worst a solid NFL starter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

mock 4.0 senior bowl week mock

 This is what I think will happen with a twist - I'm going to mock all 32 teams and give all at least one draft pick, but I'm ALSO going to give them a free agent I THINK they should sign. So this exercise is a mock on what I think will happen for the draft and what I think the team SHOULD do for the free agent. Feels like it's something different and hey we've got 6 weeks til Free Agency so this will give everyone something to read. This also doesn't include any free agents I think they should re-sign.  Effective Cap Space: the cap space a team will have after signing at least 51 players and its projected rookie class to its roster. 1. Chicago Bears - QB Caleb Williams, USC I think the Bears ultimately trade Justin Fields to someone, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Denver, and pull the trigger with Williams who is one of only a handful of 99 players who have ever come out. If he doesn't give you Patrick Mahomes vibes I can't help you. Bears "Effective" Cap Sp

MOCK 3.0 What I THINK will happen

 Man even looking back at my mocks from 2 months ago, things change so fast in this cycle. Players get hurt, teams go on runs, players develop or fall off. It's amazing what can happen and both how long and how short a football season is. This is not what I would do, but what I think will happen. I play in an ultra competitive team building madden league and I don't want my compatriots to know what I'm thinking or where I'm grading players anymore because now it's getting serious. So here we go. My first real shot at a mock now that the first 18 teams orders' are locked in. 1. Chicago Bears - QB Caleb Williams, USC Look, Justin Fields shows flashes of absolute brilliance. He really does, but his pocket awareness and ability to scan down field is well below average and he simply is not a very productive NFL passer at this point. Plus, Fields was not drafted by this regime - Fields will likely fetch a day 2 pick, which is valuable and you can start building around

TOTAL VALUE ADDED 2024 NFL DRAFT

 This isn't an article saying what team did the best based on their draft slot or anything like that. This is simply a points chart. I listed 200 players on my overall player rating board and put them up on a list and used the Spielberger draft chart to assign a point value to every slot. Based on my chart mixed with his value chart I came up with a points value chart for every single team in the NFL for the 2024 draft. We'll look back at this every year after 3 seasons to see how bad I was.